Investment in property has changed significantly since the first COVID lockdown. Rents have reduced or ceased,
short-term accommodation has reduced or ceased, and long-term rental has changed due to the excess of properties
on the market. Incentives have been offered to retain or attract new tenants. Deals have fallen over. The government
passed legislation, including taxation changes, in response to COVID-19. This course will look at the taxation
considerations that arise from all of these changes, especially around the consequences of changing circumstances
and some unintended consequences that can arise.
Upon satisfactory completion of this activity you will be able to:
- Identify the taxation considerations arising from a change in the nature of the rental activity.
- Work through options for mitigating the taxation consequences of reduced income or vacant property.
- Consider tax implications of the forced sale of property.
- Identify the taxation opportunities that arise from changes in tenancies and/or bargains.
- Understand the loss ring-fence implications of residential rental properties in the current environment.
- Understand how government taxation changes could impact or be utilised for property investors, including
depreciation of commercial buildings and loss carry back rules.
Total CPD: 1.25 hours
This course is suited to accounting and legal practitioners advising clients on property related matters, and to real estate
agents and financial advisors also working with people that have rental property investments.
Daniel Gibbons, Partner, Findex/Crowe
Daniel is a Partner for Findex in Queenstown. Daniel has been with Findex for 12 years, where he advises on a wide
range of tax matters, including property transactions and property ownership structures, international taxation issues,
the tax treatment of investments and providing structuring advice to clients, including assistance for family group
restructures. Daniel is recognised as a leader in the taxation treatment of short stay accommodation, providing training
to other practitioners
- 14 October 2020
10:00 am - 11:15 am