The income tax rules that apply to residential landlords can be complicated. This had been made worse with ring-fencing of residential rental losses, interest deductibility limitations and bright-line rules. However, with a new Government, some relief for residential landlords could be on the horizon.
This session will provide an overview of the rules and how they might apply with practical examples.
In particular the webinar will cover:
- Land taxation rules that apply on sale
~ Standard rules
- Loss ring-fencing and quarantining
- The interest deductibility limitation
- Depreciation of assets, including buildings
- Leasehold improvements
- R & M
- Lease premiums and discounts
The webinar will work through a variety of practical examples, including, how the rules apply to real property investment and will discuss the impact of any changes made to any relevant rules under the new Government.
Upon satisfactory completion of this activity you will be able to:
- Understand the income and deduction rules applying to landlords
- Understand when a sale may be taxed
- Understand what tax may be payable on sale
- Understand what, if any, ring-fencing of losses may apply
- Apply these to practical situations
- Real Estate Agents.
Total CPD Hours: 1.25 (1 hour 15 min)
Daniel Gibbons, Partner, Findex/Crowe
Daniel is a Partner for Findex in Queenstown. Daniel has been with Findex for 16 years, where he advises on a wide range of tax matters, including property transactions and property ownership structures, international taxation issues, the tax treatment of investments and providing structuring advice to clients, including assistance for family group restructures. Daniel is recognised as a leader in the taxation treatment of short stay accommodation, providing training to other practitioners.
1 February 2024
2:00 pm - 3:15 pm