This webinar will look at examples of where errors have been made in tax positions and how these can be addressed with Inland Revenue to ensure the best outcome for a taxpayer.
The examples we will examine range from the easily-fixed minor error, to complex technical disagreements and severe non-compliance.
We will discuss the standard practice statements and provisions of the Tax Administration Act 1994 that guide the approach adopted by Inland Revenue’s officers, including how these may be used in favour of a taxpayer.
You will learn about:
- The four-year time-bar
- Voluntary disclosures and amendment requests
- The “regretted choice” principle
- Review procedures and the Commissioner’s powers of inquiry
- Shortfall penalties and reductions
- Default assessments
- Agreements to amend assessments
- The formal dispute resolution process
Total CPD Hours: 1.25
Intermediate to senior accountants and lawyers who are infrequent users of the Tax Administration Act 1994.
Alex Cull, Senior Consultant, Findex/Crowe
Alex is based in Findex’s Wanaka office. He has over ten years’ experience in the tax field, having worked across corporate, small practice and administration.
- 12 August 2020
10:00 am - 11:15 am